Scott has provided us with an excerpt of the book and the news release that follows below.
BU HOCKEY BOOK NOW IN PRINT
Burn The Boats Chronicles Seven-Championship Season
Brookline, MA – Mosaic Eye Publishing is pleased to announce the publication of Burn The Boats: A Seven-Championship Season for Boston University by Hockey by US College Hockey Online senior writer Scott Weighart.
With in-depth reporting of events both on and off the ice, the book chronicles all of the key events from the last loss of the disappointing 2007-08 season through the celebratory aftermath following the Terriers’ astonishing comeback win in the 2009 national championship game.
The book is 240 pages, including a 16-page spread of glossy color photos by Gil Talbot, Dominick Reuter, and Josh Gibney. In addition to recapping all of the season’s high-stakes games in detail, the book features the fruits of numerous in-depth, exclusive interviews that Weighart conducted with the coaches and players after the season ended. The result is a book that features many now-it-can-be-told stories that were not revealed to the media during the season. Readers will learn about:
• how two players came within hours of being thrown off the team during the offseason, only to have the team captains intervene on their behalf
• the many ways in which the players and coaches raised the bar during the offseason
• life in the locker room, including accounts of the various personalities on the team
• numerous moments of truth that happened off the ice during the season, including Matt Gilroy getting himself thrown out of practice—apparently on purpose
• an exciting recap of what all the BU players and coaches were thinking and doing through the last several minutes of the most exciting comeback in the history of the NCAA championship game
… and much more.
Available at a price of $17, the book initially will be available for purchase through mail order at www.buhockeybook.com as well as at Agganis Arena.
Here are some key details about obtaining the book:
• Individuals who donate a minimum of $300 this year to the Friends of BU Hockey will receive a free copy of the book. Contact the Friends of BU Hockey at 617-353-3008 for more details.
• For others, there is a special, limited-time offer with mail order. In honor of BU’s 35-win season, Mosaic Eye is offering free shipping and handling on all orders made during the first 35 days of the regular season. This applies only to orders shipped within the United States.
• When the book is available for sale at Agganis Arena, every purchase will benefit the Friends of BU Hockey. For each $17 book that is bought, $7 will go to the Friends in honor of the seven championships that the Terriers won last season.
For more information about the book, including an excerpt and advance praise by Nancy Marrapese-Burrell of The Boston Globe, go to: www.buhockeybook.com.
The Rivalry on DVD
A new DVD, produced by Rival Films, examines college hockey's greatest rivalry: BU vs. BC. "The Battle of Comm. Ave," which features game footage and interviews with players, coaches and fans, looks at the history and intensity of the competition, which began in 1918, between the two schools that share the same street, just a few miles apart. The production will air on NESN in November; however, the DVD includes a director's cut with an additional 32 minutes of footage. Details and a link for ordering online are here. A pre-sale discount price of $7.50 is available through Friday, October 9.
► And if you haven't ordered a copy of the The Boston University 2008-09 Season Highlights DVD, you're missing a real treat. The kudos have been pouring in for blog contributor Candycanes99 who prepared the DVD. For more information and to order, contact: BUhighlights@gmail.com