Thursday, September 03, 2026

Back on the ice; Olsen forges his hammer



The Athletic called Niklas Aaram-Olsen "one of the best pure goal scorers in the (2026) draft class and a prolific scorer at the junior level." 

Canucks Insider writer Chris Faber did a deep dive into the freshman wing, noting: " I had a great chat with our 41st overall pick in the latest draft about his elite shot and what he’s looking forward to this season as he heads to the NCAA and joins @TerrierHockey   

The 6'1" Norweigan's single-minded focus on honing and refining his shot will quickly bring to mind another BU left-wing who filled nets the past two seasons.  

 “It was my last year playing in Norway at the U16 level, and that was the time when I realized I have a pretty good shot and can score some goals,” said Aaram-Olsen. “I have always loved shooting the puck. When I was young, I was shooting pucks before school, after school, every time I had free time. I always worked on it and trained my technique and everything. But I think it also comes a little naturally.”

 NHL.com/Canucks Building Blue: Niklas Aaram-Olsen Breaks Down His Elite Shot

The Terriers' 2026-27 roster now is set with 14 forwards, eight defensemen and four goalies. Six are freshmen and two are transfers.  

Looking ahead

2027 recruit Rian Chudzinski is at Anaheim Ducks rookie camp. A third-round draft pick in the 2026 Entry Draft, Chudzinski scored 38 points (21G,17A) in his first season with Moncton, then added 17 in the playoffs. 

Sidebar update 

In the LINKS section of the sidebar, we've added Matthew Auchincloss's College Hockey Commitment Tracker. For each D1 school, it lists current freshmen, players committed for 2027-28, recent decommits and prospects being tracked.  

Looking back

The Athletic's projection of top candidates for the Calder Trophy (Best Rookie) ranks Washington's Cole Hutson at #4. The two-time All-American, who made his pro debut with the Capitals last Spring, will look to duplicate brother Lane Hutson's Calder win in 2024-25.

4. Cole Hutson — LHD, 20, Washington Capitals

It’s harder for young defenseman to play in the NHL and thus harder for rookie D to play their way into the Calder mix if you’re not an outlier (Matthew Schaefer, Lane Hutson) or uncharacteristically polished at an early age (Brock Faber, Moritz Seider). After posting 10 points in his 14 NHL games late last year, though, Hutson showed he was already capable of producing at the NHL level. There are going to be some ups and downs for him over an 84-game season, but that production could carry him even if it regresses a little. John Carlson’s departure also opens up opportunities to play in key offensive-zone settings, both on the power play and at five-on-five, which is crucial. Playing his way onto PP1 over Jakob Chychrun (or a Chychrun injury) will probably be needed for him to truly stay in the mix, though. — Wheeler

Former Terrier Jack Hughes is at Los Angeles Kings rookie camp. He was a second-round draft pick in 2022 Also at the camp is 2027 recruit Liam Lefebrve, also a Kings' second-rounder (2026) who will play for Cape Breton this season.

The Blackhawks' rookie camp roster includes Sacha Boisvert and Lachlan Getz

Last Friday, we posted that Pete MacArthur was expected to join the Union College staff as an assistant coach. That became official on Tuesday.

● UnionAthletics.com Pete MacArthur Hired as Assistant Men's Hockey Coach

 

 

 

No comments:

Site Meter