Monday, October 05, 2009

Gilroy’s first NHL goal is a game-winner, too


Matt Gilroy scored his first NHL goal in his third game and it proved to be the difference in the Rangers 3-2 win against the Devils. The former Terrier co-captain and All-American defenseman broke a 2-2 tie in the second period when he took a pass in the circle to Martin Brodeur’s left and beat the goalie between the legs with a wrist shot. In the following few minutes, the rookie’s attacking style created two more scoring chances for Gilroy. Jay Pandolfo had helped the Devils to an early lead, setting up a Rob Niedemeyer goal just 70 seconds into the first period.




Gilroy talked about his milestone goal with The New York Daily News:
"He [Brodeur] came across with, like, his knee weird," said Gilroy, who led all players with six shots. "I thought I could slide it underneath."

Gilroy - who switched from forward to get a tryout at Boston University - said "I learned a lot from sitting and watching" the third period on Saturday, when Tortorella shortened his bench to four defensemen. "I was trying to do too much. I have to learn on the go here, I've only been playing 'D' for four years."
Gilroy, who earned the game's first star, and Pandolfo were two of the four former BU captains involved in the game, along with Rangers captain Chris Drury and assistant coach Mike Sullivan.

Looking ahead
Amateur Hockey Report’s Paul Shaheen watched the NTDP U17s get bloodied a bit as they were swept by the Chicago Steel this past weekend. He talked with 2011 recruit Alexx Privitera about his verbal to the Terriers. The New Jersey defenseman explained:

"I made (unofficial) visits to Boston College, Harvard and Boston University. I liked them all, but I felt more comfortable with the BU coaches and I left there with a better impression."
Full story.

► USA Hockey has posted its 2009-10 NTDP Media Guide.

► BU has posted its 2009-10 Men’s Hockey Prospectus.

No comments:

Site Meter