Tuesday, February 13, 2024

UPDATED Huskies bite Terriers in overtime again


Lane Hutson vs. Northeastern - 2024 Beanpot Final

                               Photo credit Matt Woolverton

For the second time in two weeks, #3 BU dropped a 4-3 overtime decision to Northeastern and this time it cost the Terriers a Beanpot championship.

Terriers held a 3-2 lead after two, dominating their opponents far more than the score indicated. And as in the January 30 game at Matthews Arena, a questionable penalty call—one that had the Terrier bench screaming—proved crucial for Northeastern's victory.

The Huskies scored on the power play to knot the score at three apiece and then won in overtime on Gunnarwolfe Fontaine’s second overtime game-winner of the tournament. 

“Really disappointed with the end result. Taking nothing away from them, they kept fighting. But I thought we were the better team for a majority of the game,” BU head coach Jay Pandolfo said post-game. 

“We’ve got to get past it, we’ve got to keep our heads high. We played a good hockey game. We can’t get discouraged by it,” he added. 

Junior goalie Mathieu Caron only faced three shots in the opening period—NU missed the goal on a few opportunities and had at least four blocked—and that lack of action may have affected his game. Caron has stated he prefers to see a good number of shots early to get him into the game. He faced only five shots in the second period, but two found the net.

BU would have an 11-3 shot advantage in the opening period with several grade A opportunities, but didn’t put one past goalie Cameron Whitehead until nearly 15 minutes in. Husky defenseman Pito Walton, pestered by Jack Harvey and Macklin Celebrini, coughed up the puck deep in the Northeastern zone. Harvey recovered it and slid it into the slot where Celebrini ripped the puck past Whitehead’s glove for his 23rd goal and a 1-0 lead.

Early in the middle period, Northeastern would score on the rush. Fontaine’s shot from the bottom of the left circle went through the crease behind a sliding Caron. Matt DeMelis, unmarked at the right post, had an easy tap in.

Just under three minutes later, BU retook the lead. Tom Willander forced a turnover along the boards in the BU zone, sending Devin Kaplan and Sam Stevens flying up ice on a 2-on-1. Kaplan’s centering attempt was deflected by defenseman Hunter McDonald’s stick and flew over Whitehead’s shoulder, giving BU a 2-1 lead. It was the Flyers’ draft pick’s fifth goal.

NU responded just three minutes later. Justin Hryckovian’s shot attempt was deflected by Aiden Celebrini, but it quickly came off the end-boards and back to the Huskies' captain who slid the puck between Caron’s legs for a 2-2 tie.

BU took the lead for a third time in the final seconds of the period. Lane Hutson passed to Jeremy Wilmer entering the offensive zone on the left side and Hutson headed toward the net. Wilmer was ready to send a return pass but Hutson was bumped by a defender. He spun around an re-established possession to take a Wilmer’s centering pass in the slot and whipped a low shot past Whitehead’s glove for his 11th tally of the season.

BU outshot NU 12-5 in the second period, but once again had just a one-goal lead to show for it, heading into the third period.

The Terriers had played penalty free for two periods but took their only penalty of the game at 8:36 of the third period. A very marginal holding call on Gavin McCarthy followed soon after what NU thought was a missed crosschecking call. Was it a make-up call? 

Northeastern would score on its only shot of the man-advantage and it took some bad puck luck for BU. Cade Webber lost his stick and Jack Williams’ one-timer from the left dot flew past Webber, the nation’s top shot blocker, and Caron to the stick side. 3-3.

BU created several good chances to retake the lead in the final minutes of regulation. Quinn Hutson grabbed his own rebound, went around the net and nearly connected on a wrap-around. With three minutes left. Kaplan stole a puck behind the Northeastern cage and centered it to Lachance just outside the crease, but his backhander was stopped by Whitehead.

The game moved on to 3-on-3 overtime. Early in the extra period, Caron made a strong save on Vinny Borghesi at the left post. Later, shots by Lane Hutson and Ryan Greene were turned aside. In the final minute of overtime, Luke Tuch’s shot was deflected to the side boards and the Huskies headed up ice. With puck deep in the BU zone, Willander’s clearing attempt was foiled when Hrykowian lifted his stick and passed to Fontaine in the left circle for a one-timer past Caron.

A disappointed Pandolfo added, “I liked the way we played. I liked our competitiveness. I thought we owned the puck most of the night. I just liked the way all our guys came to play tonight.”

Ironically, Monday's championship game came 28 years to the day when Pandolfo captained BU to an 11-4 Beanpot title game win over the Huskies.

GoTerriers.com recap and box score


Post-game comments Coach Jay Pandolfo

Boston Hockey Blog Terriers fall 4-3 in overtime to Northeastern


1 comment:

Skolzman said...

This one hurts. Beat BC to open it, but can’t seal the deal against the Huskies. Hope they regroup and win out.

Site Meter